A glimpse into the lives of some of the members of Business and Professional Women
- Name: Lyndy Jackson – Lynette Joy Jackson if you want to be formal. I have been called Lyndy by my family from the word go, except when I was in trouble, (which was often), and then it was Lynette Joy!!
- Club: Upper Hutt
- Age: 64
- Occupation: Office Manager for a diving and salvage company. I do all the invoicing, wages, IR returns, accounts reporting, reconciliations, travel & accommodation arrangements around NZ and the Pacific and anything else that comes up.
- Positions held in BPW: Club Secretary, currently Club President and National Programmes Convenor.
- How long have you been a member of BPW? About 7 years
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? Is there such a thing? I am so grateful for the wonderful people in my life and the fact that I have all my faculties and senses. Really, though, world peace.
- What is a trait you most deplore in others? An attitude that they are better than the next person. Why do we hear so much criticism of others when no-one is perfect?
- What is your greatest extravagance? Long hot showers, not great for the environment.
- What or who is the greatest love of your life? My husband Gary. 42 years married this month. Thanks to him I have the most wonderful children and grandchildren. .
- Which talent would you most like to have? To be able to sing. I squawk away in church when I think no-one can hear me.
- If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? A total absence of procrastination.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? Learning to be independent. I left Australia to settle in NZ as a very young mother, leaving a large loving family behind me. Not all NZ’ers are as friendly as we would like to think, but hey, I survived and became my own person.
- What is your most treasured possession? Being materialistic, my grandmother’s rosary beads and a big old cardigan that my mother used to wear. It is my comfort blanket.
- The love I receive from my family.
- What is the quality you most like in a person? Responsibility for their own actions.
- Who is your favourite hero of fiction? Oh, come on, it’s got to be Superman. He saved the world so many times. Isn’t that what we’ve all wanted to do since we were kids?
- Who are your heroes in real life? My sister-in-law who has been fighting debilitating bone cancer for 3 years now. She is always positive and a true inspiration to the whole family.
- What is your motto? Play above the line! My club members will know what this means. I will be happy to explain it to you sometime.
NEXT MONTH: Diane Dean, BPWNZ Projects Convenor